Over the years, the role of an in-store promoter has acquired great prominence in the retail industry. Charming, well-groomed, and well-trained promoters are crucial in-store brand representatives with important responsibilities. They conduct product demonstrations and draw shoppers’ attention toward the product’s features and benefits. They convince shoppers to buy the brand’s products with effective communication and knowledge. Hence, store promoters play a vital role in boosting retail sales, strengthening the brand image, and fostering customer loyalty.
Finding the Right In-Store Promoters
In-store promoters have to deal with multiple challenges on the work front. Working hours are usually long. They need to be on their toes for most of their shift. It can be monotonous to render the same demonstrations day in and day out. Delivering the same scripted lines and handling customers can be additionally frustrating. Only highly driven and passionate individuals with good communication skills can succeed. Here are some directives for businesses to find and hire the right in-store promoters:-
1. A Pleasing Personality and Willingness to Serve– The customer is undeniably the king of the retail industry. Only those who are genuinely willing to attend to and interact with customers can fulfill the responsibilities of a sales promoter.
2. Never-Say-Die Attitude– Since the job is highly taxing, young and energetic professionals are preferred. Even in cases where the age limit is flexible, the sales promoters have to be enthusiastic and eager to perform and achieve sales targets.
3. Well-Groomed with a Charming Personality– In-store brand reps must be smart and well-groomed at all times. Hiring sloppy-looking promoters will adversely impact the brand image and bring down sales. Apart from a professional look, they have to exude a charming vibe to entice shoppers.
4. Apt Profile as per the Product– The type of product being sold plays an important role in determining the profile of the sales representative. For instance, a makeup brand should ideally hire a young lady while middle-aged men best sell formal men’s apparel.
5. Articulate and Empathetic– Sales promoters must be effective communicators. They have to converse with shoppers and persuade them to make a purchase for hours at a stretch. They must also be empathetic about the customer’s requirements to achieve this.
6. Adaptability to Training– Finding candidates with all the necessary skills in-store promoters require is virtually impossible. Many of the skills and know-how have to be imparted via structured training. Hence, interviewers must assess the flexibility of applicants for sales training.
7. Linguistic Abilities– Sound knowledge of conversational English and local/regional language is a must for sales promoters.
Akin to the job of sales promoters, it is equally challenging for business managers to find the right candidates. Many businesses hire freshers or college students looking for part-time income to cut costs. It leads to high attrition and costs much higher in the long run. Business owners should be willing to devote time and resources towards hiring, training adequately, and incentivizing sales promoters.